Monday 1 October 2012

Mr. John Molua

In the last string of pictures I posted, there was one of my good friend John Molua and I.  I wanted to go into a little more detail about our friendship and what has transpired. 

A couple of weeks ago John showed me an article in a local paper from last year where he was interviewed about a football tournament he organized.  I had no idea he was so involved in the community. 

Currently, John is as a second division football player in Limbe.  His is only paid for his time to get to and from matches.  This tournament helped to keep him busy, put a little food in his stomach as well as provide a valuable service to his communtiy. 

He told me about the goals he has set out for himself with the tournament and as a football player and I wanted to help in any way I could.  I have already introduced him to my personal trainer here in town, Theodore who is from Yaounde.  He is currently working on a scouting system in Cameroon that would help get local players noticed by international clubs.  But I also wanted to help with the direction of his tournament. 

I gave him some of the articles I had printed off and brought with me that talk about using sport for development in Africa which he has devoured and thanked me numerous times.  I discussed my frustration with tournaments here in town that say things like "Football Tournament to Tackle HIV/AIDS" and then do NOTHING to tackle HIV/AIDS.  I offered a solution.  I have with me a great manual written by the UK Charity 'Tackle Africa' that provides the reader with great ideas for football drills that can be applied to the football pitch as well as HIV/AIDS awareness.  I have already employed a couple of these drills in my practices with AVFAL.  They went great!

I offered John a list of HIV/AIDS facts and some True and False statements to help with awareness that he can print on pamphlets and give away to spectators and teams at the tournament.  I also offered to arrange for condoms to be shipped from Canada to him in Limbe so that he can distribute condoms to those involved and interested. 

John has been a consistent source of support and friendship during these past 10 weeks and I think he summed up our friendship beautifully the other day when I asked him to write me a message in my journal. 

"It took a day to know you but it would take a lifetime to forget you!"

Now those of you that know me well know that I am not poetic enough to make that up.  John is one of my closest friends here in Limbe and I was happy to help him with his goals and aspirations in any way I can! 

No comments:

Post a Comment